Tuesday 21 August 2012

Research - Toy Soldiers

Toy Soldiers is an action/strategy video game which was released as an arcade title for the Xbox live dashboard. The game was developed by a company called Signal Studios.


Players take control of one of two armies on a world war one model diorama(three dimensional model environment) which consists of plastic and wooden landscapes.

One of the things that I really like about this game is the location in which the diorama is set. For example; the diorama has been put in childrens bedrooms, lounges, and librarys, surrounded by objects such as tables,  dressers, reading lamps and other house hold items which are sometimes visible in the background. 


This gives the player the impression that they are playing an old Wargame. It reminds me of when I was a child and I used to line all of my soldiers up and play with them.



The reason that I have chosen to look at the this particular game is because of its design and setting. One of the things that I have been thinking about doing with my game is creating a similar setting for my game to be placed into. In particular, when playing the game it starts off as a mid shot of the environment which the game has been put in. The example above shows the diorama inside of a games chest and on top of a table which gives the player the impression that its a board/wargame which is about to be played by someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment