Thursday 16 August 2012

Possible Art Styles

Now I have a basic idea I am looking at a range of possible art styles which I may use throughout the design process of this project.
One of the main things that I will looking to do is create a specific style which fits well within the age group which I decided at the beginning of the project.

As the age of my target audience was aimed at young teens, I was hoping to use a Toon or Cel Shaded effect for my environment, and more specifically on the Roman City.

As I have decided to use a more simplistic modelling method, I believe that applying these textures will really compliment the models and will hopefully make them more appealing to my particular audience.

What is Cel Shading? 


Cel Shading or Toon Shading is a style of art which is being used to make non photo-realistic 3D graphics have a hand drawn, cartoon or comic book effect. Although this specific style has only emerged in the last couple of decades, Cel shading has become a very popular form of art. In particular, one of the main mediums which has really seen an increase in the style over the last few years is video games.


- Borderlands -

Examples of Cel Shaded/Toon Shaded Video games -

- Borderlands
- Afro Samurai
- Bleach
- Bastian
- Catherine
- Crackdown
- Jet Set Radio
- Killer 7
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 
- Prince of Persia
- Ultimate Spiderman
- Viewtiful Joe
- Okami

and many many more. The examples which I  have chosen above and in particular the ones in Bold use a Cel Shaded style but in their own right are very unique.

In the examples below each Cel Shaded style differs from the next. From Top too Bottom the styles go from a very cartoony drawing style too something which looks much more realistic but still fits in the same category.  


- Viewtiful Joe - 


- Okami - 


- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - 


- Prince of Persia - 



No comments:

Post a Comment