Friday 24 August 2012

Production - Modelling

After creating lots of sketches and coming up with lots of ideas for possible buildings in my final environment, I have decided to start creating my 3d models.

One of the first buildings that I created was influenced by an ancient Roman Insula. An Insula is an apartment building which was used by the lower class of ancient Roman people.


The image above is influenced by a Roman apartment building. When creating this 3d model I really tried to keep it as simplistic as possible, but without them just looking like a bunch of boxes.

Most of the Roman apartment buildings looked very generic. I have tried to add a little bit of detail to the models without making them overly complicated.

This is mainly for two reasons. The first reason that I am creating simplistic models is because of the device that the game will be played on. I do not want to create complicated models with alot of geometry because the game will struggle to run it smoothly.

The second reason for me choosing to follow a simplistic model style is because of the art style that I want my models to be.



Above are two more images of models which I have created using the 3d programme MAYA. These images are going to be used in my final environment for this project.



After doing a quick render using mental ray, I have created a small street using a selection of buildings which I created a few days ago.


When these simplistic models are put together they really begin to look much nicer. The images above and below are examples of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment